Sunday, April 27, 2008

A month plus

Wow. It's been a while since I've written in this blog. Since I had brain surgery within that month I'll give myself an excuse for this tardy blog entry. Yes, I had to have another brain surgery, that's three craniotomies and one VP shunt within 13 months, if you're counting. I was scheduled to have it on April 1 but I needed the surgery earlier so I was admitted to the Kaiser hospital in Anaheim on March 26 and had the surgery in the early morning of March 28. I was a little relieved that the operation didn't happen on April Fool's Day. I really wouldn't have appreciated any April Fool's jokes on that day.


I returned home on Wednesday April 2, 5 days post surgery. I couldn't get out of there soon enough. My wrists were badly bruised from the IV's and I do not enjoy being woken up in the middle of the night.


I started Temodar, a chemotherapy drug designed to treat Glioma Brain cancer. The treatment is not as strenuous as the treatment for Medulloblastoma so I have been able to tolerate the side effects very well. I only have to take the Temodar pills for five days at home, then I have three weeks off. No IV's so I feel much better.




Noureddin and I went to San Diego to meet with my new Oncologist. We stayed at a hotel in La Jolla and were able to make a mini vacation out of the trip. It was such a nice break. The first picture is of us by the pool, the second is a view near our room. This hotel was awesome! Fortunately my appointment was during off peek season, so the rooms were half priced and we made a reservation online and got a really good deal.





My Hard Drive had to get replaced so I have been spending time transferring documents, songs etc. Noureddin rearranged the furniture in the house and made it more accessible for me. My gate is still off, so I have a walker. I can get by fine without it. It's a good thing that I like to lean on people, 'cause I do. My speech was slurred after the surgery so a Speech therapist came to my home 3 times, and I'm cured! Not really, but my speech is better than it was three weeks ago.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Devon, I'm glad you could write your blog again and know that you and Noureddin were on a mini vacation. Your blog make me close to you. You look beautiful as always. Dear Devon be patient and never give up. Are you watching "American Idol?" A lot of new program are coming, one of them is "Agly Betty" etc. A bear hug to you. I'll never forget you.
Fondly,
Clara.

Anonymous said...

Devon I made a mistake, I put an A instead o an U on Ugly. It's comic, isn't it? But I'm sure you understood the error. Love you very much,
Clara.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving us an update, and sharing your thoughts and feelings with us. Love the pic of you & Noureddin by the pool. You look like you enjoyed yourselves!

Much love from Karla, Robby & Mia!

Anonymous said...

Hi Devon, please come again to room 1 when you can. Your visit was wonderful and unforgettable. You're beautiful, brave, clever, sweet, and incredible person. Everytime you're willing to visit us, please do. We can talk and make project all together.
I think of you with love,
Clara.

Anonymous said...

Hi Devon
It looks like the hotel was wonderful! I can't wait to talk to with you. I am glad you got a new hard drive. Does the tmobile card work?

Anonymous said...

Hi Devon, It's Kim Vass!
It's great to see all of your pictures you look great as a brunette! I would love to bring Meadow down and come visit you and meet your hubby... it's been so long. Email me kvassk4k@yahoo.com so we can catch up! Miss you! ~Kim