Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Karla Frizler Octavio's Eulogy

I’ll Never Forget You, Devon
By Karla Frizler Octavio

I am one of Devon’s colleagues and good friends. We taught together at Torrance Adult School, and I have been the liaison between Devon’s family and friends and the school throughout her illness. Something I’ve heard many times from Devon’s loved ones is how much they appreciate the love and support of Devon’s co-workers and students. I would just like to say on behalf of everyone at Torrance Adult School and TIMAC, it has been our pleasure to do anything in our power to help Devon and her family through this difficult time. And that love and support doesn’t end here. We are always here for you, whatever you need.

I remember the first time I met Devon. We had both just started working at Torrance, and she subbed for my Instructional Assistant. With very little guidance, she stepped into the classroom and immediately began helping students. She was warm and intelligent and creative. The students (and I) responded to her charm immediately.

Over the years, Devon & I exchanged ideas on an almost daily basis. Even when she was unable to work, she would email me ideas for class activities, or suggest topics for our class blog. I used every single one. We had such grand plans for our students, everything from interactive whiteboards in the classroom, to a “quad” or central gathering place on campus where students could meet and practice their English outside of the classroom.

One idea we were very excited about was creating an orientation video for new students. We wanted to make sure every student felt welcomed, and got the information they needed about the ESL program and the school. When Devon returned to work in May, her main focus was the Orientation. She did a great job, and in fact it is now installed on computers throughout the ESL classrooms, computer labs and registration areas. I will work with our students to make sure the orientation is updated regularly, and of course, that it is dedicated to Devon.

One of my favorite things about the video is that Devon had her students do the translations into various languages. It was a wonderful way for the students to give back to the program, and it was a nice way to honor the students’ accomplishments with the English language.

Devon was an old soul in the body of a beautiful young woman, wise beyond her years--but there were times when she reminded me of her age. We used to watch American Idol and send text messages to each other throughout the show. One time, Hall & Oates were featured. The next day, Devon asked me, “Who were those guys?” I asked, “What year were you born?” She said “1980,” and I told her I was 13 that year, listening to my Hall & Oates albums. I made her a Hall & Oates CD, and she made me a CD of Daughtry. It was a wonderful exchange.

Though we began our relationship with me as her mentor, the tables soon turned. I realized early on that I had a lot to learn from this amazing young woman. Devon was not only my colleague, but my good friend as well. In fact, she became like a sister to me. We became especially close when she filled in for me during my maternity leave. She would make a personal visit to my home to ask me any questions she had, which was so thoughtful. When I returned to work, she had made a collage of family pictures for me to keep in my office, because she knew I would miss my baby.

I was able to really focus on and enjoy my daughter because I knew Devon was taking care of business. And I tried my best to return that favor over the last year and a half. I wanted to make sure Devon could focus on getting healthy and spending time with her family, not worrying about work.

Just before her first surgery, Devon asked me to come to the hospital and see her. Knowing her work ethic, I asked if there were anything she needed me to take care of at work. She told me to get out a pen and piece of paper. I covered both sides with feverish notes about projects I didn’t even realize she was involved in.


I also tried to help Devon outside of work. In early September, my husband and I were thrilled that Devon and Noureddin could use our timeshare in Newport Coast. It was an opportunity for them to have a vacation, to just be together … in the sun … with good friends. We’re so glad they had that special time.

The most important thing I learned from Devon is to look at opportunities, and not obstacles. To see possibilities, not potential problems. This is not my nature, but it was certainly Devon’s nature … to always see the positive and the good. I will do my best to live up to her example, and to pass along that positive spirit to my students and especially my daughter. I will never let them forget our precious Devon.

When Devon’s mom met my daughter for the first time, she said, “Mia is just like Devon!” My heart filled with pride. If Mia turns out to be half the woman Devon was, she will have an incredible life and make a tremendous impact on people, just like her “Auntie Devon.”

I feel so blessed, so grateful, to have spent some time with Devon just before she passed. It was a beautiful gift. We laughed a lot and talked about silly things like Jell-O, having no idea it would be our last conversation.


Devon, I love and miss you very much. I will never forget you …

No comments: