Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Portia La Ferla's Eulogy

My name is Portia and I was Devon’s supervisor I want to tell you about Devon at work, a place where she was loved, admired, appreciated, indulged, and adored.

When Devon first came to the Torrance Adult School, she was a volunteer in the GAC media center. One of our teachers, Michael told me about her and said she’d be a good candidate for our staff. She didn’t yet have a teaching credential, so we signed her up as an instructional assistant. Mike and Karla kept saying that we really, really needed to hire her and how much the students loved her. So we did, and she did such a great job with the students that, as soon as she was credentialed, we hired her as a teacher. And then we just kept giving her everything she asked for. We didn’t even know how much that was until she went on medical leave and it took 3 people to do her job…inadequately, I might add. We were floored when we figured out how much she was doing and what information she had kept in her head!

Well, you all knew Devon. Anything she did, she did fabulously and, it would seem to us mortals, without effort. She took over the media center class and owned it. The students praised her to me on many occasions and remained in touch and supported her throughout her illness. Our ESL program was on the verge of change beginning with our hiring Karla to help us with instructional technology integration. Devon was all over that! She began helping with tech support. She took over Karla’s job when she went out on maternity leave. Richard Rose, her principal, and I nominated her to the CDE’s Technology Integration Mentor Academy where she learned to train others how to use technology to enhance ESL learning. No big deal? It is to us old teachers who had TVs without remote controls as our starting point.

As the ESL Resource Teacher, it is my job to keep the program moving forward. With Karla and Devon, I could not stop it from doing so. Those two would sashay into my office or set up a meeting with Richard and me and what could we do? Whatever they wanted! Our sole purpose seemed to be getting them whatever they needed to do whatever they had cooked up and ambushed us with. We laughed about how we always felt like our pockets had got picked or like we had once again lost the 3 card Monte they had swindled us in to playing. But it was so fun and exciting! That was Devon! She took everyone along on her wild ride. She would come bounding into my office many afternoons and I would drop everything for Ms. Divine. I had to in order to make sure she didn’t get away with the whole store before she left. Richard and I really had a hard time keeping up.

Those were the most wonderful times of my 10 years in this position. I’ve always enjoyed my job, but I LOVED my job those days. We had everything and everyone we needed to make our already solid program an educational jewel. Devon was making a name for herself throughout the state and I had no illusions that she would be with us forever. I thought she would end up in Sacramento before long. But I never expected to lose her this way. We have lost 6 teachers in the last 10 years, all of these losses hurt and were hard to accept, but Devon was our favorite niece. She stepped into our little home away from home and made herself one of the family helping to arrange celebrations and getting greeting cards for all occasions. She was disarming, managing to get whatever she set her mind to with humor, kindness, and firmness and was never resented. And OK, Karla and I used her. If we needed to get something done that the teachers might object to, we got Devon to do it. And once she was diagnosed with cancer, she gave us full permission to use that to our advantage, too. The ESL teachers showed how much they loved and cared about Devon by contributing enough of their own sick leave hours to keep Devon in paid status with benefits for over a year!

Speaking of getting her way…Devon wanted and desperately needed to return to work. She missed the mental stimulation that work provided for her more than she missed a paycheck. But you can’t work in Torrance if you have medical restrictions. I had to tell her that and it broke my heart. I knew her doctors would never give her a return without restrictions. Well, I underestimated Devon. Saturday, May 17th I got an email from her that said, “I can’t wait to share this with you. See attachment.” It was a return to work form without restrictions! I told her I did not even want to hear how she got it, but she replied, “Persistence, that’s all. See you Monday!” That’s all?! That’s ALL! I still don’t know how she did it.

For me it was the chance I never thought I would get, to work with her again, to see her every day, to experience her brilliance at work, and to have a chance to try to make life just a little easier for her. I was able to savor the moments with her as if I had been given a “do over.” We don’t get a lot of “do overs” in life but Devon gave me one I had never dared hope for. Devon’s return to my daily life reminded met that we must savor each day. Every time Devon climbed “Mount Everest” (what she called the ramp to my door) to come see me, competing emotions of joy at having her with us and regret at knowing our time together would soon end overwhelmed me. One of our coworkers who knows something about loss wrote to us this morning the most comforting words. She wrote, “A long time ago I learned that the value of a human life isn't measured in years, but rather by the amount of love given and received.”

I am so grateful for the privilege of having had such a remarkable young person as a friend and coworker and for the legacy that she left our ESL program.


One last thing: I would like to thank my dear friend, Lucia Gallante Johnson, for providing Devon with Reiki treatments that helped lift Devon in mind, body, and soul, and for the love and care she gave to my friend. Lucia’s healing art meant so much to Devon and I will forever be grateful to her.

No comments: