Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Five Hundred Miles (Devon's Last Entry)

As I was packing boxes to move ( yes we have to move, not sure where to yet, but as of Oct 1 we have to be out of our LB place) I came across lyrics to a folk song that some ESL students at El Camino College sang to me on my last day observing their class. It's called Five Hundred Miles. My generation, and younger, were not aware of that song and when I did a You Tube search I found a Peter, Paul and Mary clip of it. I liked the version by The Brothers Four best: Check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLeyCX3Em-c

I think the lyrics are very poignant and many people don't truely understand the sacrifices an immigrant makes as he immigrates to a new land, leaving a life including family, jobs, culture and identity behind. I am really moved by the lyrics, "Not a shirt on my back, Not a penny to my name. Lord I can't go back home this a way."

In a time when so many people are suffering in the US, because of the economy and natural disasters, there is a certain amount of comfort because this is our culture and we know what to expect. Though our expectations are not always met, and I'm an expert on disappointment these days, we can still relish in knowing what is expected of people in our culture and how to gain justice if our needs are not met. That normalcy in the US, and so much more, is what an American Immigrant is forced to learn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello dear Devon, I just read your comment about the sacrifices an immigrant suffer when they leave their family, jobs, and many things behind. I'm completely agree with you about it. By the way, people say that changes are good, so I think that moving to a new place would be better for you and your husband. Please don't move far away, I want to keep in touch with you. Thank you Devon for continuing writing your amazing blog. Devon you're a very special person and you're always in my thoughts. All the best to you, today, tomorrow, and always. With endless love,
Clara.

Anonymous said...

Devon, I saw the Five Hundred Miles folk song's video by The Brothers Four on the web you wrote in your blog. The lyrics are very poignant as you said, but very interesting to know how people were suffering on those times. I also saw the Gipsy Kings' videos. I like its music very much specially one called "A mi manera." Thank you Devon for all such wonderful informations worthy to know. A big hug to a very brave and special person as you are. Fondly,
Clara.

kreyes said...

I have been reading through all the beautiful comments friends have left on Devon's blog. I am still a bit in shock that she's gone. Seeing this entry, though, really proves how much of a caring and compassionate young lady she was. I commend her family for that and send my deepest condolences. She is a bright star that will shine on.