Saturday, September 20, 2008

Irene

Devon and I met at Santa Barbara in 1998 - she was my downstairs neighbor on Trigo Road, along with Nichole, Lana and Tonya. She became one of my close friends in the SB years and beyond. We were both planning on being in Europe during the summer of 1999, so we decided to meet up in Italy and travel the majority of it together.Devon was *the* perfect travel buddy and I have said that to this day... she was so mellow, so cool, so fun, so thoughtful, so amazing... I often think of the memories from that trip.She put a quote in her Europe '99 photo album that I stole and have put in my album - I'm not sure who wrote it: "You will bring back pots and pictures. A sheaf of photographs. A jingle of coins. But you will bring back more. A vision of a wide world. Remembered laughter. New friends. New understanding."And that's our girl.One thing I can say about Dev is that she *lived* her short life. I don't mean to be crass, but she grabbed it by the balls and truly lived it. We can only hope to do that in our own lives.I have so many wonderful memories of my fun, crazy, incredible, beautiful Devon. Always a smile on her face, always so positive and supportive. WE are the blessed ones, for having known her and loved her and to have had her a part of our life.And Ruthie, YES, she was the best gift-giver. She gave me the most beautiful journal before I went for Australia - wrapped in a beautiful scarf (she said she learned that from Asako) - and the journal is the only one I still have and own. I wrote in that thing nearly everyday during my time there. I had always intended to have journals - in fact, when I was much younger I wrote in them - but this is the only one I've kept. She knew a thing or two whether she knew it or not. :)From nights past, to tonight, to many nights ahead: Devon, I love you, you have been and always will be a ray of sunshine in my life. I miss you so much it hurts.

-Irene

No comments: